Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Biking is awesome!

Biking has been my favorite form of exercise since I was a little kid.  Granted, when I was young, I didn't really think about the healthy aspects of it, it was just something to do with all my friends.  We would round everybody up and be the neighborhood "biker gang", riding around and just having lots of fun.  Then my friends and I got older and we stopped biking so much, especially when we got cars!

I was very fortunate in my youth to be handed down a fully paid for car that I was able to take to college, which I enjoyed for 4 years.  Then, once I was reduced to the meager paycheck of a graduate student (seriously, with the work we put in we should be paid 16 times as much as we are), I realized I didn't like filling up my gas tank once a week.  So, to get to my job over the summer I started biking from our apartment to campus.  

It's about an 8 mile ride one way, which takes me about 45 minutes to an hour at a steady pace.  In the warm months, this is the greatest mode of transportation.  On your way there you wake your body up and get it engaged for the day, on the way home you can beat out your frustrations if need be, and you get lots of fresh air and sunshine!  I will admit, it takes a little bit of perseverance in the cold months.  But, in the end it's worth it!  I get plenty of aerobic exercise and am always wide awake when I get to work (no coffee needed!)

So, this spring, I challenge everybody to dust off their old bikes and give it a shot!  You won't regret it, trust me!

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment